What Is Sinusitis?
Sinusitis is inflammation and swelling of sinus membrane which caused by infection of bacteria like Staphylococcus aureus, microoganism like Demodex mites or irritation of allergen like dust, pollen, mold and animal dander.
What causes of Sinusitis?
During infection, body react by increasing the flow of mucus and white body cell into the paranasal passage to fight the likely infection or irritation. As each sinus is joined with nasal passage by a continuos mucous membrane lining ; any inflammation and swelling of paranasal affected to sinuses. Membrane inflammation and swelling blocked the ostia and drainage of mucus into the nasal passage; accumulation of mucus in the sinus rendering :-
(a.) Colonization of bacteria
(b.) Air circulation is trapped
(c.) Pressure build up or vacuum created in sinus wall
All these resulting nose discomfort and intensive pain
The classification of Sinusitis:
Sinusitis can be classified according duration or location.
* Acute Sinusitis ( less than 3 weeks )
* Sub-acute Sinusitis ( 4 – 12 weeks )
* Chronic Sinusitis ( more than 12 weeks )
* Frontal Sinusitis
* Ethmoid Sinusitis
* Maxillary Sinusitis
What is the symptoms of Sinusitis？
– Nasal congestion
– Frequent sneeze
– Runny nose
– Smelly purulent nasal discharged in morning but watery and discoloured
discharged in afternoon
– Blocked nose
– Reduced sense of smell
– Postnasal drip ( Cough, Sore throat, Halitosis )
– Feeling of facial ” fullness”，swelling around eyes, cheek tender to touch
– Facial pain / Arching teeth / Frequent Headache
– Itching feeling on nose,eyes and ears
– Cold symptom but not response to treatment
– Dark eye shadow
– Headache during wake-up and worsening during bending-over